What Makes addiction recovery and sobriety awesome let me count the ways
A friend of mine was concerned people didn’t know all the good parts about getting sober and living life in recovery. We hear so much about how hard it is to stay sober, about relapses, about cravings and life not getting better. Well, here are my TOP TEN examples of how awesome it is to live in sobriety, recovery, whatever you want to call it.
- You’re NEVER hungover.
- If you hear birds chirp in the morning it’s because you woke up early and are reaping the benefits of a great night’s sleep.
- You almost never wake up with someone whose name you don’t know. Heck, we can’t always get everything right…Just kidding mom, his name was Craig.
- You’re never scared of getting tested for ANYTHING.
- You can’t get a DUI, get arrested for drunken, disorderly conduct or running around naked in the middle of the night. Unless you are a celebrity with a ‘mental’ disorder.
- You have AWESOME friends who always take your calls and give you good orderly direction, which makes life better. Every day.
- You don’t fight with people often. EVEN FAMILY. And better yet, some of us even have Nice relationships with our families now. SHOCKING.
- When he doesn’t call, you resort to Ben & Jerry’s and can’t zip up your dress instead of numbing out with drugs and alcohol and waking up married in Mexico. OK, not every addict does that.
- Speaking of Mexico, you NEVER have to make sure you have enough drugs or alcohol to get you through a trip, the week or even the day. And getting through security or customs doesn’t make you sweat.
- Regrets are a thing of the Past because you know even when you make mistakes you had the best of intentions and can learn something from them.
To anyone out there who wonders what life is like on the other side – it’s phenomenal! No, not everyday is rainbows and kittens, but to be blunt, I’m not that keen on either of those things to begin with. Life is tough and we all experience times that are more challenging than others. But in sobriety and recovery we have tools to get us through it, we have friends to prop us up when we need it, we meet the most amazing people who are willing to help us when we desperately need it AND ARE HAPPY TO HELP GETTING NOTHING IN RETURN!
I want to scream it from the mountain top, life may not be perfect in recovery, but my worst day sober is so far better than my best day using there’s no competition. I remember people’s birthdays – ok, that’s a lie, I still don’t remember people’s birthday, but I try harder. Most importantly, when you live life in recovery you learn how to take care of yourself and then you can take care of the people you love. Have a happy, sober day to all my recovery compatriots and to all those on the fence, hop over, the grass really is greener over here 🙂
Reach Out Recovery Exclusive By: Lindsey Glass