Brown butter is life changing. I drizzle this butter over steamed butternut squash, broccoli, and mashed potatoes. It is also great on turkey or chicken. It's so good, that I have been known to eat it plain straight from the saucepan. Plus, butter is healthy. Per Dr. Axe, butter is:
- An excellent source of vitamins A, D, E, and K
- Rich with manganese, chromium, zinc, copper and selenium, a powerful antioxidant
- A perfect blend of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats
- Is a source of good cholesterol
The Best Brown Butter Sauce EVER
- 1 Stick of Butter (real butter, not oleo, or margarine)
- 2 Tablespoons of Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons of FRESH sage, chopped or rosemary (Sage is my favorite.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Optional - 1 small shallot thinly sliced (Best used on days when you really need help setting boundaries.)
Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan and melt on medium-low heat. Let the butter simmer, stirring occasionally until the butter starts to brown. Browning brings out the natural sweetness in the walnuts and garlic. The sage gets deliciously crispy. Just keep an eye on the sauce because black butter is bad and burnt garlic is worse.
As a recovering codependent, I'm extracting myself from enmeshed relationships. This week, in my recovery, I tackled my boundary problems and how they showed up most often in the kitchen. You can read about that adventure here.