From Medical News:
Marijuana is the dried and ground up or shredded parts of the cannabis plant. Nearly all parts of the plant make up marijuana, including the leaves, stem, flowers, and seeds. As with other medications and procedures, marijuana use can potentially bring both positive and negative effects.
Many of marijuana's effects are short-term, meaning that they last for only a short period. Other effects are long-term and may not show up immediately.
There is not much research into the effects of secondhand marijuana smoke. It is possible that secondhand smoke exposure may be enough to cause some of the temporary effects, as well as some of the long-term effects, in some people. More research is necessary to examine the effects of secondhand marijuana smoke.
Often, a person will smoke marijuana to feel its effects. However, a person could also:
- vape it
- cook it into food
- use it as part of an oil
- brew it with teas
- use other topical or oral marijuana products
The following article discusses some of the potential benefits and side effects that marijuana has on the body.
How marijuana affects physical health
Some of the most common effects on physical health from marijuana use include:
- a higher likelihood of developing bronchitis, when a person smokes it
- more phlegm, when a person smokes it
- lung irritation from irritants including some carcinogens, such as accidentally burning the mouth or throat when smoking
- a weakened immune system due to the effects of tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana
- pain relief
- reduction in vomiting and nausea
- faster heart rate by 20–50 beats per minute
- red eyes from the increase in blood flow
- relief from the symptoms of glaucoma, for short periods
- aggravation of existing lung conditions, such as asthma, when a person smokes it
- potential interference with tumor growth
- interference with fetal development during pregnancy
- interference with brain development among teenagers
When people use it medically, marijuana is often useful for the following: